Last week we had the pleasure of attending the ‘MY Freshers’ event, which was organised by The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Practice Learning Facilitators Team to prepare the intake of newly qualified Nurses to join the Trust as Staff Nurses over the next few months.
There was a lot of interest in library resources, both in print and online, so here’s some more information on useful resources for newly qualified Nurses:
The library holds a selection of books aimed specifically at newly qualified Nurses with titles including;
- ‘Newly qualified nurse’s handbook: a survival guide’ by Siviter
- ‘Becoming a nurse: a textbook for professional practice (2nd ed)’ by Sellman & Snelling
- ‘The essential guide to becoming a staff nurse’ by Peate.
In our Nursing section you’ll also find a selection of books available on Nursing ethics, clinical skills, communication and compassion amongst a range of other topics. You can view our full library catalogue online here.
We also hold titles from the Oxford Handbooks in Nursing Collection, which includes titles such as:
- ‘Oxford handbook of adult nursing’ by Castledine
- ‘Oxford handbook of children’s and young people’s nursing’ by Glasper
- ‘Oxford handbook of emergency nursing’ by Crouch
- ‘Oxford handbook of primary care and community nursing (2nd ed) by Drennan
Most of our Oxford Handbooks in Nursing are also available as eBooks, with an NHS OpenAthens account. You can find our step-by-step guide to accessing Oxford eBooks here.
An NHS OpenAthens account is your key to lots of online resources, from journals to eBooks, to point of care tools.
- If you need to register for an NHS OpenAthens account you can self-register online here.
- Our registration help guide can be found on the library website (here) or a paper copy can be picked up from the library.
- More information on NHS OpenAthens can be found in this blog post.
We have already touched on this in the paragraph above, but…
- The Oxford online eBook collection includes over 130 highly regarded titles including the Oxford Handbook in Nursing Collection. View the full title list here [pdf] 110KB).
- See our E-Books- OUP Handbooks & Textbooks blog for more information on accessing the eBooks.
- You can access the collection here or via the library catalogue.
- Details of online journals the service has access to can be found here. You will need to be logged in with your NHS Athens account to see all content the service is subscribed to.
- You may find the British Journal of Nursing and Journal of Advanced Nursing to be of particular interest.
- The Royal Marsden Manual Online is a key Nursing resource which provides up-to-date, evidence-based guidelines for over 200 procedures, related to every aspect of a person’s care. This resource is also available in print from the Staff Library.
- The British National Formulary (BNF) provides up-to-date guidance on prescribing and administering medicines. You can access it free via the internet or via an App.
- The British National Formulary for Children (BNFC) provides practical up-to-date information to help healthcare professionals prescribe, monitor and administer medicines for childhood disorders. You can access it for free via the internet or via an app.
- Social media can be a really useful tool for Nurses, it can help you stay up-to-date with all the latest news in healthcare and find helpful resources for revalidation and CPD. See our ‘Twitter for Nurses’ blog for more information.
If you’d like further information please do not hesitate to get in touch or pop in and see us (we’re based on the ground floor in Trust HQ).
Natasha on behalf of ‘The Library Team’